Hypertension or what they call high blood pressure is when the systolic blood pressure is consistently above 140 mm Hg and/or diastolic blood pressure is consistently above 90 mm Hg.
It is becoming a major issue in the world. There are more than a billion people in the world suffering from hypertension. Hypertension is sometimes called the ‘silent killer’ as it sometimes comes with no symptoms associated.
According to the American Heart Association, almost half of American adults have high blood pressure and many don’t even know it. According to the Irish Heart Foundation, almost 1 million people in Ireland suffer from Hypertension and this number was expected to increase by 26% by 2020.
How To Prevent Hypertension
1. Eat healthy – Eat a very balanced diet and control your salt intake.
2. Have an active lifestyle – Make sure that exercise is a part of your routine. Activities like brisk walking & cycling for two and a half hours a week are a good start.
3. Maintain a healthy weight and start a weight loss program to get it to a healthy range if it is not.
4. Quit smoking. There are many smoking cessation services. You can also contact us to begin a consultation.
5. Limit your alcohol intake.
6. Get enough sleep.
How to Manage Hypertension
1. Monitor it constantly at home.
2. Manage your diabetes.
3. Make changes to ensure a great lifestyle.
4. Take medication on time.
5. Communicate with your medical team constantly.
Hypertension is a high-risk factor in cardiovascular diseases, strokes and organ failure and managing it is crucial. You can always contact our experienced professional doctors online to discuss your condition.